September 16, 2013

MSFW: RMIT Student Runway



A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to photograph the RMIT Student Fashion Show for Style Melbourne at Melbourne Spring Fashion Week (MSFW). I missed out on shooting at MSFW last year, so covering the festival this year was a nice big tick of my bucket list. I'd heard that the student shows are fantastic. I definitely now understand why. They are filled with inspiring and daring designs. It's the perfect unison between art and fashion and the garments are so much more fun to shoot than just regular clothing.

The show was like a big party for all of the designers. They sat front row, on their mobile phones, instagramming, tweeting and congratulating each other. It all made me a little bit jealous that I wasn't a part of their world. I cannot sew to save myself.

The runway looks were incredibly diverse, there were a lot of cut out, white, minimalist pieces, huge oversized jackets (which were amazing by the way), female suits that looked like they were made out of cadbury chocolate wrappers (seriously), mens wear accentuated by lights, as well as lots of chains and headwear that reminded me of Alexander McQueen's Fall 2013 campaign.

I had a little bit of a play with these photographs. I love experimenting with runway photography because you can really do anything with them. Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear your thoughts!  You can also see the photographs featured in the Style Melbourne blog post here (they're all in colour and 'normal' looking).

6 comments:

  1. What an honor it must have been to photograph this show! Your shots are just stunning! You are so talented, my love!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Hannah! It absolutely was! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found your blog from the #tavigevinson tag on Tumblr and was really moved by your blog post of how you met her and your whole Rookie experience. Amazing photos btw! I'm also going to a Rookie Mag #2 launch event soon and I'm planning on giving Tavi a zine that I made and pitching some ideas to her. I'm super nervous about it though!

    I read that in your post you left university or I might have misread that? The reason I ask is because I've just left fashion school after being super frustrated and wanting to start things on my own. I was wondering how your experiences have been after leaving uni? Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey! Firstly, thank you for commenting!
      Secondly, do you have an email I can respond to all of this by? I don't really want to plague my comments with the very long reply I'll write out for you! :)

      Delete
    2. Sure, that would be great! Thanks for the response! It's avantgardiste (at) gmail (dot) com.

      Delete
  4. love your processing Carolyn, keep up the experimenting!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment below! I read every single comment that's posted and reply to as many as I can! Your feedback is appreciated :)